Employee Benefit Management Services (EBMS)
EBMS provided the transition opportunity we needed to move from Chicagoland to Billings, MT. A small, growing, family-owned company, I was hired to help instill some structure and discipline into the IT group. Over the first 6 months we made some good progress, and I was able to add some strong IT pros to the group. But the final 8-10 months were brutal as the corporate environment seemed to grow more toxic by the day.
Looking back on it, there were some key questions I might have asked during the interview process that could have alerted me to the challenges that lay ahead. But the role was the perfect opportunity to move my young family out to Montana. I can’t say I would have made a different decision if I had to do it over again.
Director of Information Systems
11/04 – 4/06
- Managed 15 person department responsible for information systems development and support at company with 250 employees and $20MM annual revenue. Selected to serve on company’s Executive Committee; contributed to executive level strategic planning and corporate governance.
- Significantly improved performance of IS department through restructuring the team, focusing on customer service, delivering high-quality products when promised, improving communication of project status, and carefully managing resource allocation.
- Initiated annual IS planning and budgeting process. Inventoried future needs from company directors, aligned department and individual goals with company goals, and defined and tracked $1.5MM budget.
- Ensured on time and under budget completion of infrastructure improvements consisting of network upgrade, storage consolidation, and desktop standardization. Produced one year cost savings of over $100k through implementation of volume licensing and purchasing agreements.
- Led critical initiative to meet and document company compliance with HIPAA Security regulations. Developed and conducted training on security procedures and policies for entire company.
- Presented company’s technological capabilities to executive level employees during sales presentations to potential clients.